Sunday, January 3, 2010

Deep Kiss of Winter (oooh, it's frostay!!!)

First off, yes, I know that was corny. And no. I don't care. It was still awesome. Anywho, today's (yes, another today's.....even though I read it last week. Shoosh! That's enough from you!) book is Deep Kiss of Winter, which is by Kresley Cole and Gena Showalter. No, it's not a compilation of both authors on two stories; it's a separate stories that are both in the same book. Currently it is only available in hardcover since it was released in October. It is the newest installment of Kresley's Immortals After Dark  or ash she refers to it IAD....much shorter and sweeter) series. This series is amazing (see previous posts cupcake reference). The are all intertwined, but as often in a romance series, unique. The books while they may tie in character-wise or there may even be overflow from one to the next, the stories each stand on their own two feet and have a beginning, middle and end for those characters. However, you get to revisit older characters in newer books and that just makes me darned happy. My personal favorite, is Nix, who is out of her bloomin' mind (which is likely why she's referred to as nucking futs nix) and who has a pension to wear t-shirts with odd sayings like "I play with my Prey." Kresley's world is one of supernatural splendor, complete with Vampires, Werewolves (or as she refers to them Lykae), Valkyrie, Fey, Witches and any other mythical beings you can think of....even kobolds (who btw are not cute nor cuddly). Anyway here is your description *yaaaaaayyyyy*:

KRESLEY COLE
delivers a breathtaking tale of a brutal vampire soldier about to know love for the first time...and a Valkyrie aching to be touched.
Murdoch Wroth will stop at nothing to claim Daniela the Ice Maiden -- the delicate Valkyrie who makes his heart beat for the first time in three hundred years. Yet the exquisite Danii is part ice fey, and her freezing skin can't be touched by anyone but her own kind without inflicting pain beyond measure. Soon desperate for closeness, in an agony of frustration, Murdoch and Danii will do anything to have each other. Together, can they find the key that will finally allow them to slake the overwhelming desire burning between them?
Deep Kiss of Winter



Not for the review portion of the program: While I did love this story, it is, unfortunately, my least favorite of her series so far. That being said, DO NOT THINK THAT MEANS IT ISN'T AMAZING...or I will kill you. On the grand scheme or her amazingness, this one is just a tad shy of the rest. The book is definitely worth the read, it is amusing, action packed, stocked to the gills with supernatural awesomeness and, of course, complete with hunky man. I just had slight issue with the heroine. She was sexy, smart, capable and a tad...whiney. I think it was the whiney that got to me. In all of her other books the femmes were badass. They all had some soft spots, but badassness ruled. Even in Emmaline's story, she was still badass. Naive, unsure, but she still did her business. Daniela is just a tad emo. I understand that if I couldn't touch a person without suffering severe pain, I might be a bit emo too. But, she's half valkyrie. Daniela kind of reminded me of that girl in highschool who always hung out alone and looked like a puppy about to pee herself if anything with a penis looked her way.....only not quite that severe. However, all this considered, I still really enjoyed this book as I have enjoyed all of her books and am not sad I bought it at all. I definitely give this one a 3.5 out of 5. So, kiddies, go get it and read it. Then look forward to her next installment in the IAD series, Pleasure of a Dark Prince, which is due out in Feb.

No comments:

Post a Comment