Sunday, January 3, 2010

Tempted, by P.C. and Kristin Cast

Hello there my fellow bibliophiles. Today's tasty review tidbit is of the book Tempted, by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kristin Cast. Tempted is the 6th installment in the House of Night series. And for everyone going, "Hey, those are young adult novels and your so not even a teenager!" I am aware of this and I don't give a crap. This series rocks my socks, so all I have to say to you is a very mature *ttttttttttttthhhhhhhhhhhhhppppp* Which for those of you unfamiliar with that language, is me blowing a very mature raspberry at you. I highly recommend this series, they are amazing and wonderful. Like cupcakes. But not just any cupcakes, the kind that are full of sugary, fatty goodness. You know, the kind where you tell yourself you just want one, then eat the entire box and feel like a heifer? Those kind. I've also determined that the Dark Hunter series, Kresley Cole in general and everything Janet Evanovich or Catherine Anderson has written also give me that cupcakey goodness feeling. And no, I'm not saying their nauseatingly sweet, I'm saying you can't just read/have one. Ever.


Now, back to the House of Night-ness. If your new to the series, the series is basically an interesting twist on the idea of vampirism and the lives of said vampires. Basically, vampirism is a genetic trait that comes about in an indeterminate amount of time, generally around the teenage years (because there's no better time to become even more awkward and uncomfortable right?). Once the vampire trait manages to manifest itself, you are sent to the House of Night. A sweet vampire high school, for lack of a better description. Here you study and (hopefully) become the great vampire you were always meant to be. Enter in Zoey Redbird; vampire by accident, awesome by intent. She is a bad ass, yet adorable naive and sweet, who can kick ass, take names, then stop for some brown pop and chips. I feel like if she were a nail polish she'd be Royal Rajah Ruby by OPI. Anywho, the books follow Zoeys journey, which of course is wrought with unexpected horrors and general teen frustration and sarcasm. Now, for the novel du jour (well actually the jour was three days ago, but whatever).
Here is your description from the inside cover my minions, read and enjoy:
So…you’d think after banishing an immortal being and a fallen High Priestess, saving Stark’s life, biting Heath, getting a headache from Erik, and almost dying, Zoey Redbird would catch a break. Sadly, a break is not in the House of Night school forecast for the High Priestess in training and her gang. Juggling three guys is anything but a stress reliever, especially when one of them is a sexy Warrior who is so into protecting Zoey that he can sense her emotions. Speaking of stress, the dark force lurking in the tunnels under the Tulsa Depot is spreading, and Zoey is beginning to believe Stevie Rae could be responsible for a lot more than a group of misfit red fledglings. Aphrodite’s visions warn Zoey to stay away from Kalona and his dark allure, but they also show that it is Zoey who has the power to stop the evil immortal. Soon it becomes obvious that Zoey has no choice: if she doesn’t go to Kalona he will exact a fiery vengeance on those closest to her. Will Zoey have the courage to chance losing her life, her heart, and her soul? Find out in the next spectacular installment in the House of Night series, TEMPTED.



Now, this book was pretty darn good. It started off alright, but by midway through I couldn't put the darned thing down (literally...my puffy horror movie worthy, zombie-like appearance can attest to that). The book starts precisely where the last one left off, nunnery and all. This book held lots of surprises, some good, some TERRIBLE....but none the less there were surprises. The action was good, this story is told from several different pov's, which can be a horror, but thanks to the Cast's ingenious labeling of who is telling each chapter, any potential brain muddling was easily avoided. Plus, the characters are all well written and have very distinctive tones and accents. The flow is amazing, the descriptions are wonderful and the quippy comments compliments of Aphrodite just made me giggle. Particularly the reference to a particular male as an asshat. Which, by the way, is now my new favorite insult. However, the ending made my heart break. I will not spoil the book for you. I won't. If you've already read it and need someone to rant to, I'm here. Trust me. I already ranted. And since up until recently my fellow book crazy hadn't read this yet, I ranted to my poor unsuspecting boyfriend; who likely just assumes I am now certifiable since he has never read the series. I wholly recommend you give this series a read. Really. Even if your 75 and use a walker (and yes, I do realize that most people that are 75 don't need a walker; however walkers remind me of my gramma who died recently. So until I'm not sad anymore you all use freaking walkers). I rate this series a 4 out of 5. Now go read. Go!

No comments:

Post a Comment